Before we continue, it must be explained that meteorology is not an exact science, especially during the spring or the end of summer, so we are not able to make any final decisions until 24 hours before the start of the excursion.
In the case that the weather conditions are adverse and prevent the contracted boat excursion from going out, we will act as follows:
The most logical option would be to try to find an alternative date that can be enjoyed. In the case of not being able to offer an alternative date or that the clients cannot adapt their agenda to the new date, we will proceed to return the total amount paid in advance. The refund will be made within 48 hours, by bank transfer, to the account indicated by the customer, or if you paid through the booking online we will automatically give you the money back, available by Stripe in 5 working days.
Even within the same day we will try to adapt the time of departure and arrival to avoid possible bad weather to the best of our ability. For example, if the forecast says that it will rain continuously from 4 pm onward and we have hired a full day excursion from 10am to 7:30 pm then we will change to a new schedule of 10 am to 4pm.
The change of date or schedule does not imply any reduction in the rate or conditions of the contract unless the period of time of the excursion is reduced. In this case, the new rate corresponding to the new duration of the tour would be applied.
In no case will it be possible to make the decision of shortening the excursion, once it has already begun, in exchange for a reduction of price.
Once an alternative date has been chosen by customers, all the same cancellation policies will apply to the new date.
Nababbo Sail may decide to cancel the boat tour also on the same day of the reservation in case of bad weather and sea condition, in this case full refund will be provided. We reserve the right to cancel any cruise at any time due to extreme conditions deemed unsafe but will always keep the guests informed.
In the event that the weather conditions prevent us from advancing with the trip and we can not find an alternative date, nor can we offer a comfortable and safe alternative route, we will proceed to return the total amount paid in advance. The refund will be made within 48 hours, by bank transfer, to the account indicated by the customer, or if you paid through the booking online we will automatically give you the money back, available by Stripe in 5 working days.
It is very important to note that if have accepted an alternative date to enjoy a day with better weather, all the same cancellation policies will apply to the new date. For example, if you change dates due to any of the causes like bad weather, overbooking, upgrade, you can only cancel the new date and get a refund if it complies with our cancellation policies.